This is an online only (virtual) training course that discusses and demonstrates methods of responding to potentially lethal force attacks to include firearms, edged weapons and bludgeon weapons. It is important to understand that like all demonstrations, those techniques shown are examples only and not meant to be the “end all be all” answer to such attacks. The totality of circumstances in the moment will determine the officer’s proper response and best options.
The course includes a PowerPoint slide show that corresponds to the three training videos. The total viewing time for the videos is approximately 19 minutes broken down into three segments. For viewer’s reference there is also a downloadable PDF version of the PowerPoint presentation, perfect for use in taking notes. A course syllabus and extra reading resources are also included in the training materials.
If there are any questions with regard to the content, please contact the instructor: Lt. Frank Borelli via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a virtual course, offered online only and available to registered users of the Officer Virtual Academy at all times.
In this course, Instructors Borelli and Nance discuss the various challenges of potentially lethal force attacks and the considerations of proper responses. The concerns of attacks from bludgeon weapons, edged weapons and firearms are all discussed. Limits on certain types of response and possible better responses are demonstrated.
There are no prerequisites for attending this program.
This course is a personal-knowledge-only (no continuing education or in-service credits) program. It is recommended that prior to viewing/attending this course, the student officer complete the Boyd’s Cycle Applied to Conflict Survival and General Defensive Tactics Introduction courses.
- The student will be able to articulate the difference between shooting and gunfighting.
- The student will be able to articulate dynamic and physical limit considerations involved in close quarters shooting.
- The student will be able to articulate the general principles of close quarters shooting for survival.
- The student will be able to articulate what is an edged weapon and what is a bludgeon weapon.
- The student will be able to identify the fastest part of an edged weapon attack system.
- The student will be able to articulate the general principles for successful defense against an edged weapon attack.
- The student will be able to articulate the general principles for successful defense against a bludgeon weapon attack.
About the Instructors
Lt. Frank Borelli – LE Instructor / Editorial Director
With over 35 years of operational experience and more than 30 years of instructional experience, Lt. Borelli has taught programs involving firearms, defensive tactics, officer survival, active shooter response and more to officers from all levels of government to include city, county, state, federal and military. He remains active in law enforcement, continually training and being trained to keep his skills up to date and sharp.
Sgt. Richard Nance – LE Instructor / SWAT experience / TV personality
Richard Nance is a veteran police officer and former SWAT team leader. He is the co-owner of WARTAC, a company that provides training in firearms, tactics, and personal defense. Nance cohosts Handguns & Defensive Weapons, a new television series on the Sportsman Channel.