This is a brief course that reviews and discusses the concerns of managing media response to or after active shooter events. While specifically based on such events at a school location, the protocols apply to virtually any setting such as a public mall, business building, etc.
This is a virtual course, offered online only and available to registered users of the Officer Virtual Academy at all times.
This course of instruction covers all of the needs and controls for managing the responding media at or near the scene of an active shooter event. While the course is specifically designed to cover school incidents, it is equally applicable to events at other locations such as malls, business buildings, etc.
It is recommended that you take the Active Shooter Scene Response Management course prior to this one.
This course is a personal-knowledge-only (no continuing education or in-service credits) program. It is recommended that the student officer view/attend the following courses before viewing this one:
- Boyd’s Cycle Applied to Conflict Survival
- Active Shooter Response Protocols
- Active Shooter Scene/Response Management
- Upon completion, the student officer will be able to identify the primary concerns surrounding managing representatives of the media at an active shooter incident
- Upon completion, the student officer will be able to identify the needs and concerns for command staff at the media rally point after an active shooter incident
- Upon completion, the student officer will be able to identify the needed personnel to remain at the media rally point after an active shooter incident
- Upon completion, the student officer will be able to identify the amenities necessary at the media rally point
- Upon completion, the student officer will be able to identify the relationship between the media rally point and responding political representatives
About the Instructors
Lt. Frank Borelli – LE Instructor / Editorial Director
With over 35 years of operational experience and more than 30 years of instructional experience, Lt. Borelli has taught programs involving firearms, defensive tactics, officer survival, active shooter response and more to officers from all levels of government to include city, county, state, federal and military. He remains active in law enforcement, continually training and being trained to keep his skills up to date and sharp.
Additional Resources / Reading: