This is an online only (virtual) training course that reviews the threat of being in a physical conflict with an opponent who has knocked you to the ground and is trying to seize your drawn weapon. Methods for securing the weapon, putting the opponent off-balance, and engaging with non-lethal or lethal force as necessary and justified are discussed and demonstrated.
The course includes a PowerPoint slide show that corresponds to the two training videos. The total viewing time for the videos is approximately 10 minutes broken down into two segments. For viewer’s reference there is also a downloadable PDF version of the PowerPoint presentation, perfect for use in taking notes. A course syllabus and extra reading resources are also included in the training materials.
If there are any questions with regard to the content, please contact the instructor: Lt. Frank Borelli via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a virtual course, offered online only and available to registered users of the Officer Virtual Academy at all times.
In this course, Instructors Borelli and Nance discuss and demonstrate methods for maintaining control of your weapon while on the ground, on your back, with the opponent having mounted you. Discussion of the dynamics of the situation and concerns for lethal engagement are included. Methods for maintaining control of your weapon, getting the opponent completely off your weapon and then neutralized as a threat are demonstrated.
There are no prerequisites for attending this program.
This course is a personal-knowledge-only (no continuing education or in-service credits) program. It is recommended that prior to viewing/attending this course, the student officer view:
- Boyd’s Cycle Applied to Conflict Survival
- General Defensive Tactics Instruction
- In-Holster Handgun Retention
- The student officer will understand the positioning and dynamics of the described situation: an opponent on top of you, on the ground, trying to wrench your weapon out of your hands.
- The student officer will be able to articulate the demonstrated method of removing the opponent’s balance.
- The student officer will be able to articulate the demonstrated method of getting the opponent’s grip on the handgun broken and completely removed.
- The student officer will be able to articulate the potential lethal force engagement targets on the opponent once the weapon has been secured.
About the Instructors
Lt. Frank Borelli – LE Instructor / Editorial Director
With over 35 years of operational experience and more than 30 years of instructional experience, Lt. Borelli has taught programs involving firearms, defensive tactics, officer survival, active shooter response and more to officers from all levels of government to include city, county, state, federal and military. He remains active in law enforcement, continually training and being trained to keep his skills up to date and sharp.
Sgt. Richard Nance – LE Instructor / SWAT experience / TV personality
Richard Nance is a veteran police officer and former SWAT team leader. He is the co-owner of WARTAC, a company that provides training in firearms, tactics, and personal defense. Nance cohosts Handguns & Defensive Weapons, a new television series on the Sportsman Channel.